New England has many dozens of gardens that showcase not only beautiful gardens but also innovative and original landscaping design and techniques and now is the perfect time to load up a picnic basket, grab the kids or dogs and head out for a days journey of landscape viewing.
Many of the gardens are private and you should check their websites for hours of operation and any restrictions they may have. Another avenue for gaining access to some of these landscaped gardens is to join a local garden club. Many garden clubs have special arrangements with many private gardens and in addition they can offer invaluable insights. Don’t forget to take your camera.
Today’s state is New Hampshire
1. Founded in 1987 and located in Lee, NH the Bedrock Gardens has grown to over 30 acres of beautiful landscaped gardens and sculpture.
2. Canterbury Shaker Village is a destination requiring many visits. The refurbished and reconstructed village is on over 690 acres of forests, gardens, fields, mill ponds and nature trails. Located in Canterbury, NH this is surely a place you will return to many times.
3. Located in Cornish, NH Saint-Gaudens National Historic Site is filled with gardens and sculpture that surely will inspire your landscaping design.
4. It has a restaurant for lunch, gardens to explore and workshops to take, it’s Pickity Place and it’s located in Greenville, NH.
5. Rent a canoe for a totally different way to look at nature and landscape design. A highly recomend destination is the Newfound Audubon Center located on the shores of New Hampshires Newfound Lake.